Sunday, November 10, 2019

Entry #8: Monkeys on the Bed

Trainer Amor here,


I kid you not (pun intended), I always question my current profession. 


nervous knock knock GIF by NHLEveryday when entering my job, I always wonder if I am working at a zoo or at a pre-k school. When walking down the halls I always hear screeches and children practicing their animal noises. If I know anything about teaching toddlers, it’s that they really love the monkey noises. The children like to compete with my moos and neighs, but I’d like to think i'm the sensei in the room. As the children get older in age so do their attitudes. 


Help me.


After hearing about the mortifying “terrible twos” age group, I can honestly say those assumptions are true. There's a giant messy stigma around two year olds and potty training (luckily for me I mostly work with one year olds). The difference between one and two year olds is that when you're grabbing supplies you have to decide whether or not you need pull-ups or diapers size 4-6. When stuck with a bunch of one year olds, the vocabulary difference in comparison to the twos class is tremendous. Two year olds definitely know how to talk your ear off. 

1 year old: “Shoe on” or “Not nice”
2 year old: “Shut up Bobohead” (Hurts the worst)


interview crying GIF

When talking to toddlers, it’s important to use positive reinforcement and guidance throughout each day. How you talk to the children shapes how they express themselves early in their lives. For example, we are advised not to say the words “time out”. Instead we use words like “me time” or “time away”. When toddlers act out negatively towards peers, teachers are supposed to talk to them in a positive tone and have them reflect on their actions.

Again, someone help me.


children scaring GIFEach day every teacher follows a specific process for their kiddos. My process starts with signing into our roster and greeting my children. The children have a set routine of scheduled diaper changes, set meal times, and activities planned throughout the day. Staying consistent helps keep the classroom organized and avoids pure chaos. 


Even though my days seem frightening to most, I endure through the craziness because the education of toddlers depends on patient teachers. When talking to my children in a positive voice or tone I help them positively communicate to their peers. By helping children stay consistent with their schedules we as teachers help them prepare for life after preschool. I would illustrate a picture for the zoo-like classroom that I work in but I'd be afraid to lose one or two monkeys.


"The responses of the baby monkey are very similar to those of a human baby" - Harry Harlow

Sincerely, Woe Amor 

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I feel your pain. Although I only have to try and coral one child. My sympathies go out to you but I am sure it is fun to be around so many little growing personalities. Be slightly grateful you don't have to wrangle in the 5-6 year olds. Maybe you don't have to deal with the whole potty training and diapers (hopefully) but you have to learn how to adapt to the ever growing weirder questions. The one's that want to either throw you into a fit of laughter which sometimes you can't because of course its not good parenting or sitting...Or the one's where you simply want to run and hide. Babies, where do those come from?

    ReplyDelete